Spring and Winter Hoops Basketball League Rules 2011-12
28.5 basketballs will be used in Divisions GD1, Gd2 and D1
30.0 basketballs will be used in Divisions D2 & D3
Regulation high school rules will be followed with the exception of the following
1) Games will consist of four (4) Eight-minute quarters. The clock will stop on ALL whistles only with 2 minutes left in each quarter.( Running clock for 6 minutes) Each team will receive two (2) full time-outs per half (45 seconds receive warning horn, 60 seconds, be ready to play) Time-outs will not be carried over per half. ( Use them or lose them). There will be a two-minute break between quarters and a Four -minute half-time for each game.
1a) Running clock for entire game except that the clock will stop the last 2 minutes of each half.
1b) Mercy Rule- When a team is up 20 or more points within the last 2 minutes of the quarters the stop clock rule does not apply.
2) Games tied at the end of the regulation period will be concluded with successive three-minute overtime periods until a winning team is determined. The clock will stop at ALL whistles with 2 minutes left and one (1) additional full time-out will be granted to each team
3) Pressing will be permitted throughout the game, except when a team has accumulated a fifteen (15) point or greater lead. No pressing will be allowed when this occurs.
3a) Division 1 must play man to man defense. Division 2 and 3 can play zone or man.
GD2 (3rd, 4th and 5th), pressing is allowed only during the last 2 mins. of Q4 (probably won't practice and therefore won't have enough time to work on breaking a press) if team is not up by 15 points or more..
4) It is necessary for all substitutes to check in with the scorer’s table. The official will acknowledge a substitute entering the game during a dead ball situation. If you are going to put in a substitute during a timeout, the player MUST check in with the scorer, the player must wait until there is a dead ball, then the player will be acknowledged by the official. Division GD1, Gd2, and D1 will have 2 quarters mandatory playing time per player. And Division 2 and 3 both have 1 quarter mandatory playing time. (Coaches discretion for extra time.)
5) There will be a Seven-minute grace period given from the scheduled game time. Five (5) players must be present to begin a game. If a team has 4 players, they can play the game with 4 players. If the team is a D2 or D3 team they can draft down to the lower division team. D1 teams can play with 4 players. For all teams drafting and not drafting a technical foul is given. If a player fouls out, with only 5 or less players in order to come back in a technical foul will be givin to the team. This is only allowed 2 x and then the player is out for the game.
6) Jewelry may not be worn by any player during the game. If it must be worn for religious reasons, it must be taped over to prevent injury.
7) All players must wear Winter Hoops uniform jersey only with numbered shirts to be in a game. All under shirts must be the same color as the Spring Hoops jersey, no exceptions.
7a) Playing Up
In order to play up to a higher division, the player must be assessed by the HBA board for that higher division. Also the player must have scored over 100 points in the lower division in the prior season. Players who score over 100 points cannot be on the same team in the same division.
7b) 2- 100 point players will NOT be permitted to play on the same team. This will unbalance the league.
8) Any ejection will result from two (2) technical fouls during one game from a player or coach. Any ejection relating to the behavior of a player, coach or manager will result in a minimum suspension of one (1) game, which will be served during the team’s next game. 2 Technical fouls in a season by a coach will result in a one game suspension. A second ejection during the season will result in a suspension for the remainder of the season, including playoffs. An ejection resulting from technical fouls will also result in a suspension if any technical is a result of the offender’s poor behavior (as opposed to a technical rules violation). In the event of any ejection, the ejected player, coach or manager must leave the gym immediately (under adult supervision, if player) and is not permitted to return for the remainder of that day, as well as for the team’s next game. Flagrant Fouls will be an immediate ejection of the player for the rest of the game and a ONE game suspension.
2 Flagrant Fouls in the season will result in the termination of the player for the rest of the season.
8a) Verbal abuse will not be tolerated on the court or off the court. Verbal abuse to a opposing player, scorekeeper, clock keeper or HBA board member will not be tolerated. This will result in a one game suspension for the first offence. The second offence the player is expelled for the league.
8b) The Hope Rule ( New)
Any player injured in the game and the clock has to stop. This player MUST come out of the game for 2 minutes.
9) In scheduling the playoffs, in the event of a tie in team standings: If the two teams played twice during the regular season, the team that won twice will be awarded the higher seed. If the two teams split, the team which allowed the lowest points will be awarded the higher seed.
10) Division GD1, GD2, and D1 all players must only play man to man defense.( A Zone Press is allowed, but when crossing mid court, man to man defense is required.) Teams caught playing a defensive zone will be charge a technical foul. Division 2 and 3 may play zone or man to man defense.
11) Shot Clock in Division 3, teams will on have 30 second offensive possession to attempt a shot. Shot clock will reset on shots that hit the rim and on all fouls. Exceeding the shot clock time limit will be a turnover.
12) Division 1 boys can play a game with 4 players and not have a forfeit (7 minute grace period will apply here). The opposing coach has the option to play with 4 or 5 players. Division 2 and Division 3 must play with 5 players. ( example; Division 2 team can draft down to Division 1 player to play for that game for them. Division 3 team can draft down to Division 2 players for 1 game). Players can be drafted down for one game only. If team is hurting for players, HBA board will made decision on permanent player to be added to the team.
12a) Forfeits - 2 forfeits in a season will eliminate the team from playoffs. (All Divisions)
Girls Division 1
Pressing will be allowed in the last 2 minutes of 4th quarter only, as long as team is not up by more than 10 points.
Girls Division 2
Pressing will be allowed in the last 2 minutes of the 3rd and 4th quarters only, as long as team is not up by more than 10 points.
Clock will be the same as boys.